Preference for RP?

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by cyclops, Mar 12, 2016.

?

RP Medium

1. Forum

87.1%
  2. Email

3.2%
  3. Live Chat (IM or IRC)

4.8%
  4. Live Meat-Space (Tabletop)

4.8%
  1. allybear2001

allybear2001 Newcomer Game Owner

I never even KNEW there were live chat places to rp honestly, I started out playing on sites hosted by freewebs using boards2go boards and just recently began to merge into Proboards

2. midorialexandros
    Classy

midorialexandros Newcomer Game Owner

I would have to agree with this. That people who love live chat, don't like forums and visa versa.

These days I feel like there aren't many good mediums for live chat rp anymore though, so, so many have been 'born and raised' on forum rp that many don't give it a chance either.

3. Maru

Maru Newcomer

I really like forum rp's because you can take more time on the role-play and really think over what you are doing. Plus you have an entire community of people to play with over just a single partner or a small handful of people. Though I know some prefer it the other way around, aha.

Elena likes this.
  4. I've always preferred forums. Though I think I liked forums better when most of them were hosted on free sites. Now that it seems like so many forums are privately owned, which can be a good thing because of more custom options, but there are so many forum owners that abuse their power. (such as reading PMs, etc)

5. Dalibor

Dalibor Newcomer Game Owner

Forums are great, especially if you RP with people spread very far apart so your online time doesn't have to line up perfectly. But I like IM or in-game (i.e. in MMORPG's) too.

Elena likes this.
  6. Featherstone

Featherstone Resident Game Owner

I said "forum", but actually I like tabletop as well. Except, much harder to fit into everyone's schedule.

7. Frost

Frost Newcomer

Tabletop is generally my preference. I also run a group for LARP (Live-Action roleplaying) in my town. Forums have their advantages, but I find that writing RP and talking RP provide very different creative outlets.

Death Kitten likes this.
  8. Featherstone

Featherstone Resident Game Owner

Writing gives you a chance to explore your character's thoughts, even those they wouldn't normally share. It is not, however, the best format for action-packed scenes.

9. turnpages
    Batty

turnpages Newcomer Game Owner

Forums are my preference for sure though I use to really be into journal rpgs back when I first started. I like being able to take my time and usually write a few paragraphs for my posts which I found I couldn't do in IM. I dabbled in IM but always found it too time consuming and demanding. Forums allow me to fit RP into my schedule instead of having to worry about being online to fit in with someone else's schedule.

slytherinwitch and Featherstone like this.
  10. Corinthian

Corinthian Newcomer Game Owner

Definitely forums. I started out playing tabletop IRL but... these days I much prefer the art of crafting a lovely post, I enjoy the writing aspect most of all. Something about live RP seems like... too much pressure.

11. Lure Master

Lure Master Resident Game Owner

Forum, all the way. I can take my time, come up with good in-depth replies, and easily re-read what has been posted beforehand if I need to. And as I get older, the more times I need to, :)

Elena likes this.
  12. Jakolope

Jakolope Newcomer Game Owner

Wayyy back when I used to pass back and forth a journal with friends. That eventually evolved into using google docs, and now I run a forum. All great for different reasons!

Elena likes this.
  13. TheDemonDoors
    Anime Lover

TheDemonDoors Newcomer Game Owner

I also prefer forums, simply because it's what I'm used to. The funny thing is, I started out doing chat-based roleplay and now, I hate it. I'll do sporadic things on Skype or AIM with my friends but otherwise, it's strictly forums.

14. Nano
    Anime Lover

Nano Newcomer Game Owner

Could never get into chat-based. There is no real feeling of deliberate planning or persistence to it for me. I like to pool ideas for a bit, rub them against the character and spend a whole lot of time pointing out the details of the scene, the surroundings, the wordless communication and whatnot. That'll take me anywhere up to hours or days, depending on gaps between steps and re-reading and refining posts. There is no way i can make that work on live, outside of full fledged tabletop like D&D and even there, we used to take multiple minutes at least between each other's actions.
    So, forums hands down.

15. hoangjonh

hoangjonh Newcomer

I think It's good.

16. Stormhelm Kingdom

Stormhelm Kingdom Newcomer Game Owner

It depends on the RP itself I suppose. Forums are a great resource because they allow people from all over to participate. That being said live action lets you really get into it.

17. Idle Omens
    Insomnious

Idle Omens Newcomer Game Owner

Typically, I stick to forum-based or even Journals. I find having some control over the flow of members is nice when your hosting large games with multiple areas. We use Dreamwidth and Insane Journal, mostly . . though I will admit a friend tried getting us to start a game in the forums of Godville. Most of our group was banned for using content that was, apparently, allowed in the game but not spoken about in forums.

I used to enjoy Table Top, but since moving to my new area . . . the interest is no where.

18. LadyLizard

LadyLizard Newcomer

I like chats, but only for short-term roleplays and roleplay discussions. For ones that I know will take a long time or will have a lot of world-building, I prefer forums. Just because that way it's easier to check back on who wrote what and when.

19. Star Army
    Spaced

Star Army Resident Game Owner

I mentioned this earlier and now it's happened: Yahoo's core, including Yahoo Groups, has been sold to Verizon. We don't yet know what this will mean for Yahoo Groups based PBEMs but the RPs there need to make sure they have a backup of everything because it's possible Verizon could pull the plug on them, as it mainly bought Yahoo for mobile video related reasons.

20. marniewings

marniewings Newcomer

Forum for sure. its easier and safer to a point