Hi there!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Twygg, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twygg

Twygg Newcomer

I'm Twygg. I'm a gamer and veteran writer/roleplayer. I've got, oh, at least a decade creative writing in the roleplay scene. I say 'creative writing' because the site I was stuck and made a home out of became inactive and cold.

So it goes without saying that, after 10 years of torturing myself with a socially abusive community, I'm slow to branch out and meet new people. That will change! (Hopefully).

I'm not really sure what I'm doing here. I'm just Googling for answers to exploit my beloved hobby. I feel extremely out of my comfort zone but I'm going to take a gut chance that I'm doing the right thing.

tl;dr Hello please don't be scared of me because I'm more scared of you <:')

Shriker likes this.
  2. Shriker
    Magical

Shriker Shadowlack Owner RPGfix Admin Patron Game Owner

Welcome, @Twygg! Is there any particular genre, or genres that you seem to always find yourself writing in?

I think that we're all pretty good-natured here. I haven't had to expand to a larger fleet of moderators (yet), and people really seem to get the idea that acting like assholes toward one another is a thing that will not be tolerated. So hopefully you too can be part of the continuing process of cultivating a positive and helpful community. :)

3. Nathan Hunter
    Badass

Nathan Hunter Resident Game Owner

I'm sure there's a large portion of the RP community that has grown tired of the drama and conflict. Who cares to work on their art in that frame of mind? I find my own muse simply refuses to speak up without the right mood to hear it

4. Twygg

Twygg Newcomer

I've always been attracted to the fantasy and some sci-fi genres. Usually anything that is derived from a movie, book, or video game is easy enough for me to catch on to (being familiar with the universe helps me better understand what kind of character I'm building; comfort picks). Otherwise I'm a huge lurker to anything that is active.

I kind of feel, mm, underdeveloped as a roleplayer because I've most likely spent so many years doing it a certain way under certain toxic conditions. My husband, too, I think. We met and founded a relationship there - mentioning to several people (jokingly) that we could never leave because it still felt like a home; like it meant something to us. We were practically big fish in a little pond: able to get away with all sorts of creative shenanigans because we exploited the fantasy genre inside a Legend of Zelda themed board. World building. We loved doing that.

That's where we stopped growing as writers, haha. Only have each other to challenge ourselves, at this current state.

Shriker likes this.
  5. Nathan Hunter
    Badass

For me it comes down to the game itself. I spent time overseas and despite all that was going on I still managed to sneak a connection on the battalion's server and do a bit of writing. It was only for a few minutes but it was cherished sanctuary and there I could challenge myself, finding others in search of the same. :) My fiancee is a writer too, though more towards books of her own, but being able to discuss our different approaches and tactics has definitely made me up my game heh.

6. Twygg

Twygg Newcomer

Wow - that's so touching. Almost a similar situation for me and mine, except we're less than technical and tact. It's why you'll never catch either of us trying to write a book xD Way too scrub.

We do discuss things like, uh.... character building? Too much time is spent on the thrill of creating than actually doing something with it later. But man, it's gotta be said, having someone live with you that shares the same passion really helps shed the stress to be heard. Not to mention he's like a free proofreader.

7. Nathan Hunter
    Badass

The lady and I are in different schools of the same 'sport' the way I see it. She's just more ambitious, it's more fun for me to react to others and get ideas I might not have come up with myself but to each their own. I'm also a bit particular and will be on duty for proofreading once the second book is done. The first is a long term project, somehow she can keep both in mind and focus on either. ADHD requires I write a short post every day or so lol

8. Twygg

Twygg Newcomer

HolywowWHAT. That's incredible o_o She's working on two at a time? I mean, I get having multiple ideas and wanting to cover them all. Maybe I'm just easy to impress but to juggle two commitments would ruin the fun for me. That's where it begins to look more like a chore than for fun.

But then again... yeah, OK. I can understand ambition and motive. That's some hardcore focus, imo.

9. Nathan Hunter
    Badass

She's a fan of fantasy but is making more progress on a crime/romance. Her struggle has been finding out what methods work for her, there are so many voices out there all too ready to tell you how to enjoy a craft. Until I'm getting paid it is not a job for me :)

10. Twygg

Twygg Newcomer

In college, back under the influences of my roommate, we were both more than willing to hop on the what-is-popular train of writing to pump out some quick cash. If I knew it would sell, I'd make teenage vampire romance novels in a heartbeat!

I still would. lol

11. Nice to meet you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.